Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Genre Changing

It's so hard to slap a label on what we write, isn't it? I have been telling myself that the story I'm working on is speculative fiction but as I get more into it, I realize that label doesn't really fit. I wanted to write something along the lines of Lois Duncan's The Third Eye, about a psychic girl. I must have read it when it first came out, because the publication date is 1991 (oh, the horror of remembering something more than 20 years back!) The girl in the second book of the series I am working on right now will be much more like Karen, Third Eye's protagonist, than Aisi, the heroine I am writing now.  (As an aside, does anyone know how to say her name? Are you thinking A.C. or Icy?)

Anyway, before my ADD brain completely derails my train of thought, Duncan's book impacted me. I remember reading it over and over, so fascinated with the possibilities that fantastic elements could add to a book. I was raised on a literary diet of Little House books and other historic fiction and biographies. I knew my favorite section in the school library, that was for sure! Third Eye opened up a new world for me. I love the idea that we can create endless possibilities by taking just one element of our normal world and tossing it out. The rules change when we aren't bound by reality as we know it.

So my point before I went all tangential: genres. I was thinking it's speculative fiction...now, not so much. But what do you call it when a girl has the ability to move things at will with just her mind, sees ghosts, and hunts a smart mouth demon? Paranornal, supernatural, or just fantasy?