Skip to main content

Kerri Cuevas Throws Us Some Deadly Kisses



Kerri Cuevas is going to hijack the blog for the blogger book fair. Her book Deadly Kisses from WiDO Publishing (2013) is now available. Check it out!

Aiden Grant has a killer kiss. Literally. And it’s not every reaper who gets to work with the Sixteenth President. Sure, Honest Abe likes to throw out history lessons with reaping assignments, but when you’re favored by the ancients, grim reaper life is pretty sweet for a newly dead seventeen-year-old.
Then things get messy.

Aiden is assigned to reap the soul of Bee, the only girl he has ever loved. When Aiden’s kiss of death fails, intertwining their souls, she is still very much alive and they are both in trouble. The ancients want Bee, who has special powers of her own, and they’ll do anything to get her.
Some rules are meant to be broken, even if that means Aiden must bargain with his own soul to save Bee. Who knew the afterlife could get so complicated?



A Dirty Little Secret about Deadly Kisses

Kerri here and I just reached down into the dirty laundry hamper and pulled out not just a stinky sock, but a secret about my book Deadly Kisses. Raise your hand if you want to know. I see some hands. Okay, here goes. 

I originally wrote Deadly Kisses in alternating point of views between Bee and Aiden’s character. It didn’t work out, and I rewrote it solely in Aiden’s voice because who doesn’t want to read about a Grim Reaper who has a famous president for a boss *grins*

Since the Blogger Book Fair is totally awesome sauce I’ll share with you a small snippet from the original story in the chapter that was from Bee’s point of view. Enjoy!

Chapter Six
Beatrice

     My heart beat steady in my chest but something cold, alive, and not a part of me lingered from the Grim Reaper’s kiss. It was there in the background attached like a leech. 

     I was always on the unusual warm side and now shivers zipped through the core of my body. I couldn’t warm up. I sucked in a breath when the Grim Reapers emotions flowed into me. Smooth fibers of disappointment, angst, sadness and failure made me almost drop his big pocket knife. It was top heavy and awkward.  I gripped the scythe and separated our emotions. He stood there like a frightened kitten going to be eaten by a wolf although he acted tough.

     I clicked my tongue to the roof of my mouth. It tasted like black jellybeans, and I remembered the way his lips felt against mine warm, inviting, and left me wanting more. It had to be a Grim Reaper trick. I looked up to make sure he wouldn’t fool me again. 

     “I need my scythe back. You can’t use it and I doubt you could kill someone with it.” He took a step toward me and held out his hand. 

     “Get back or I’ll scream!” I stood my ground, aiming the shiny silver blade at him.

     “Just give me that back and I’ll leave. I can’t kill you tonight anyway because a part of my soul is stuck in you. Hope you like winter because I’m a bit chilly. You on the other hand are very toasty.”

     “Stay away!” I screamed.

     “You have one second to drop my scythe, or I’m going to fry your fingers off, and I’m not keen on smelling burnt flesh. It makes me want to puke. Long story.”

     His scythe began to warm under my fingers. “What’s to say you won’t come back? If you go near my family I’ll…”

     “You are marked to die, not your mother or father, only you. I can’t touch them. Now be a good girl and let go of my scythe so I can leave.”

     His garden tool heated up. I screamed when my skin burned like I picked up a hot pan from the oven. I let his scythe go and tried to catch it. The Grim Reaper caught it in his hand instead. I saw his straight lips go into an angry smile before he turned, opened the door to the outside, and disappeared into the night.

      I should have never scared the Grim Reaper, but if I hadn’t it would have cost me my life. I ran to the door pulling the curtain to the side, but I couldn’t see him. I knew he was moving away from me from the feel of his cold soul trapped in my body.

About the Author: Kerri Cuevas was born and raised in Rhode Island. She moved to New Hampshire with her husband, three kids, cats and a rabbit named Hercules in 2005. When she's not writing, she's chasing chickens on her small farm or searching for the ultimate mac-a-cheese recipe.

Kerri went to college for Early Childhood Education but now writes books for young adults full-time. Her storytelling stems from watching too many horror flicks as a teen, but she no longer needs to sleep with the lights on.


You can find Deadly Kisses Free on AMAZON for the Blogger Book Fair! Also check it out at Barnes &Noble, and Celery Tree.

Find Kerri at her blog, website, Facebook, Goodreads, and Twitter @ KerriCuev, and don't forget to check out her book trailer




    

Popular posts from this blog

Fake News at Its Finest

Life has a way of putting me in my place. I had grand intentions to post weekly, and three months later....

So I think it's great that people are talking about fake news these days, because fake news is at the heart of Off the Record. I have a sleezeball paparazzo named Derrick Fuchs (it looks like a swear word, but it's pronounced 'fooks,' a purposeful play on words to immediately show what a douche nozzle he is) in the novel. He writes his articles based on the latest gossip without really caring who he hurts or how much of it is made up. I haven't decided yet if the reader gets to meet him, but the excerpt today is the first article we see from him. Enjoy!


Off the Record, Question 1

The Post in Which I Inform You That Free Stuff is Happening

Today I'm lucky enough to be a featured author in the Monster Mash Book Blitz event. You can follow along on the event's Facebook page if you like. I love sharing my books with readers, and it's hard to get my book into your hands...but I'm gonna try. Today I'm giving away Freaked for 99 cents...and Psyched is free

What? Both books for single?
Yes. Because I love you.