Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Fight or Flight by Jamie Canosa

Fight or Flight is the kind of book that haunts you, but not in the way you expect. After I put down the book and stepped away, her main characters Jay and Em were still on my mind. She makes real those kids you see wandering around down town in big cities, humanizes them, and illustrates the sad lives they have to escape to believe that living  homeless on the street is a better option.



Both Jay and Em are running. Em is the newb, and Jay is the seasoned pro, hardened and jaded by two years on the streets. He helps her out against his better judgment, and the story is off and running from there. Canosa writes really likeable characters and I found myself rooting for them the whole time. I kept hoping Jay and Em could make things work and escape the streets to a better life. My heart ached for them, and I really wanted to go all apeshizz on Em's dad! I cared about her and Jay. They are so real.

I can't rave enough about this book. You can read an excerpt here, or buy it here.