Skip to main content

The Writing Process



Ever curious about how writers and authors write? What inspires them? How do they hone their stories? What drives them?

Friend and fellow author CameliaMiron Skiba invited me to join the Writing Process Blog Tour, and while I don’t normally participate in things like this, I simply had to for Cami. She’s a little scary when you tick her off. (Just kidding! Love you, girl!) Below are the questions I was asked to answer, and now I get to tag other writers to keep it going. It’s like a chain letter for writers only, and what’s not to love about that? 

What are you working on? 

I have a few works in progress right now, which works well for my unfocused, disorganized brain. 


  •  Freaked, the sequel to Psyched. Sequels do not work well for my unfocused, disorganized brain, so I have to prioritize the things I want to happen, decide what works best with Freaked, and what brings satisfying conclusion for the people who love Aisi Turay as much as I do. Easy peasy, right? Or not... 
  •  I’m revising a romance for grown-up types I wrote years ago. I shelved it after it was rejected. After I pulled it out and dusted it off, with a few years between then and now, I realized how truly terrible it was. After working on ArmsWide Open  and falling in love with my heroine Lauren Brooks, I decided to resurrect the reject and combine it with another idea I had for a romance—it’s Jane Austen’s Persuasion meets a singles cruise. Hijinks will ensue.  
  •  This third project...it makes me happy dance. I’m working with five other authors to put together a mid-grade (upper elementary and junior high through high school) urban fantasy series, with each of us contributing one book. The common thread will be the magic of Atlantis, with each other contributing our own characters and story lines. Characters from the other books will make cameo appearances in mine. I’m really excited with how this one is coming together and the characters I’m creating. We’re planning a release for next summer! 

How does your work differ from others of its genre? 

This is a tough question. I know my writing definitely falls within a few genres. Juvenile, paranormal, YA, romance, fantasy. I want to try writing everything and see which voice feels most authentic, see which people like to read the most. Maybe at some point I’ll stick with one.
I guess this biggest difference is I try hard not to be influenced by the next big thing in any genre. I just read what sounds interesting and if an element in that book sticks out to me, I might experiment with it in my own writing.

Why do you write what you do?

I write the stories that come to me. They come on their own and the stories aren’t necessarily connected or geared to any particular age group. I have ideas for children’s picture books, romances, and everything in between in this world and beyond. I write what I do because the stories demand that I tell them. Bossy little things, aren’t’ they?

How does your writing process work?

I write when I can, and when inspiration strikes. I don't write in acts or segments or follow any established "rules" for writing, because who even came up with those? I wish I could say I was one of those motivated and disciplined writers who outlines everything and writes on a schedule, but I’m a realist...and I’m a mom first, above all else. I haven’t written anything for a couple of weeks because my daughter on year-round school is off track, so I’ve been spending time doing things with her. That won’t write or sell any books for me, but she’s kind of awesome and way more fun to hang out with than a computer. 

All done. Okay, now Shantal Hiatt and Conni Byron, tag! You’re it!

Popular posts from this blog

Fake News at Its Finest

Life has a way of putting me in my place. I had grand intentions to post weekly, and three months later....

So I think it's great that people are talking about fake news these days, because fake news is at the heart of Off the Record. I have a sleezeball paparazzo named Derrick Fuchs (it looks like a swear word, but it's pronounced 'fooks,' a purposeful play on words to immediately show what a douche nozzle he is) in the novel. He writes his articles based on the latest gossip without really caring who he hurts or how much of it is made up. I haven't decided yet if the reader gets to meet him, but the excerpt today is the first article we see from him. Enjoy!


Off the Record, Question 1

#cleanreads and the death of common sense

Twitter is a great place for righteous indignation and manufactured controversy. It also happens to be the best place for me to engage and interact with readers, so I'm there frequently. Yesterday I noticed some fellow authors loudly defending a publisher which only accepts "clean" submissions, so I went to Twitter to follow the hashtag # cleanreads to see what the big deal was.

Quick summary: a gay man was offended that this publisher (who uses #cleanreads to promote their books) doesn't accept submissions including gay story lines or characters. 
Much butt hurt and cyber bullying followed, on both sides. The man at the center of the firestorm was reasonable and kind in explaining his position. He seems like a truly decent human who felt strongly about something. I hope my post about why I think he's wrong shows the same restraint and respect.
 He gives the hashtag and the discrimination he feels he has suffered too much power because he thinks this publisher is…