Skip to main content

A Little Love for Arms Wide Open

Okay, so I'm the first to admit I'm a little absent-minded. I leave a room for something and by the time I get to the room to get that thing, I've usually forgotten what I needed. I have to backtrack and rethink, and sometimes I forget a second time, too.  I blame hormones. Yeah, that's it. Hormones.

So I was surprised (and then not surprised) when I realized I scheduled a free promo for Arms Wide Open on Amazon last weekend. I recall thinking sometime in December that I should plan a promo for the weekends before Valentine's Day, because with the giant heart on the the cover it fits the general theme, you know? I just forgot that I actually went and did it. That free promo happened a few days ago, and I got more downloads than I've gotten from all my other books combined. Nice surprise!

But then the reviews started popping up, and can I just say WOW? When you're a writer, you expect the bad to come more than the good, so when I saw the reviews that hit Amazon for Arms Wide Open today, I felt really....amazed. Thankful. Proud and humble all at once, but mostly thrilled a story I love so much resonated with some readers. Here's some of what I found this evening:

What I expected was boiler plate fun fluff, a tale with humor, depth, and a healthy dose of psychology took me by surprise. If you choose to read this I hope you will find the same.

Enjoyed what I thought was going to be fluff. It starts out that way but was surprised how good it left me feeling at the end.

The beauty of this story, is that is was wonderfully written, with great dialogue, funny laugh out loud moments, and engaging characters. In a short amount of time, the reader is completed involved with the story, and it goes from fun and light to a little deeper and serious that you stop and say, "what just happened here?" I found myself wanted to know more, yet feeling totally emerged in the story, and to me, that is when you know that you have read a good short story.

Dear readers, whoever you are, THANK YOU. You just made writing that story totally worthwhile! 

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Record, Question 1

Fake News at Its Finest

Life has a way of putting me in my place. I had grand intentions to post weekly, and three months later....

So I think it's great that people are talking about fake news these days, because fake news is at the heart of Off the Record. I have a sleezeball paparazzo named Derrick Fuchs (it looks like a swear word, but it's pronounced 'fooks,' a purposeful play on words to immediately show what a douche nozzle he is) in the novel. He writes his articles based on the latest gossip without really caring who he hurts or how much of it is made up. I haven't decided yet if the reader gets to meet him, but the excerpt today is the first article we see from him. Enjoy!


Off the Record, Question 1 Part 2

If you haven't noticed, the format for Off the Record isn't in regular chapters. Main character Devi Madrigal is looking back in an interview for Rocker Chic mag, something I made up because every sleezeball papparazzo antagonist needs a place to work, right? So instead of chapters, you'll see questions and articles about her. It's a fun format to write in.😍

When we last hung out with The Streakers, they were trying to figure out how to make the finale of a live reality show after their lead singer Raina Sky ditched them that morning. They heard Devi singing after her shift at the coffee shop and want to sneak her in to sing for them. Will Devi tell them they're crazy? Can they sneak her in to a studio with tight security? Will this girl with a guitar and a dream steal the chance she's been trying for three years to reach?

Part 2