Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Freaked is coming, y'all

It started with Psyched We're about a month away from Freaked, people. If you could see the happy dancing going on over here! Wait...nobody needs to see that. 

 

A Psyched Top Five:
1.   Aisi appeared in my head, fully formed and all kinds of sassy, as I sat in a college linguistics class. I may or may not have gotten a D+ on the next test because I had to write down what she was telling me so I didn't forget. (Oh, who am I kidding? That session was a review for a test on what shape the mouth makes when we say particular sounds. I was gonna get a low grade anyway. I have never been more proud of a B- as I was of the one I got in linguistics class!)

2.   You say her name A.C., not icy.  

3.   I used African mythology and the Apocrypha to come up with her abilities and family history—her dad is from Africa. Aisi is a Mende word that means ‘sunshine.’ It's her dad’s nickname for her and just one thing the demon uses to taunt her through the book.

4.   Her last name, Turay, is a West African surname, since her dad called Sierra Leone home before he fled to the US as a refugee of the Blood Diamond Wars. Or so he says…
 
5.   My bad guy, Malus Indoles, is a demon who know Aisi’s dad from the old days in Africa. His name means Evil Genius in Latin. Don’t worry, Aisi mocks him appropriately for making up such a lame name for himself.  
 
But wait! There’s more!
(sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

 I hope you’re as excited as I am that FREAKED is coming, and that Aisi and Malus are back. I’m so excited to share it with you!

 

Aisi Turay is losing it. Literally.
A couple of months ago, she could see ghosts and help them move on, or vanquish any demons in her way with a few choice insults. Now? Not so much, and she’s pretty sure her least favorite demon is behind it.
Malus Indoles is back. He’s stronger than the last time she faced him, wielding power she never imagined a demon could have. Aisi realizes that he’s just a henchman for something worse, something much more powerful…something that wants everyone she loves out of the way.
As Malus brings the worst he’s got and then some, Aisi wages a fight for her life...maybe even for her soul.
 
Excerpt from Freaked, coming May 2015!
 
After a brisk jog down the road with Leo on her back, Aisi’s adrenaline started to wear off. Exhaustion, both physical and mental, crept in, bringing a sense of hopelessness with it. She stopped in the middle of the road. The hot afternoon sun burning through the muggy air scorched her neck. She dropped Leo to the ground.
“Where are we going, Aisi?”
“I don’t know.”
“We have to find Mom!”
“I know.”
“And Dad.”
“I know.”
“We have to hurry, Aisi!” Panic rose in Leo’s squeaky voice.
“Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious.” Inhaling, she opened her mouth to rip into him for nagging her with information she already knew, but her jaw just dropped as she looked at her little brother. His skinny legs shook. He clamped his hands over his eyes and wrenched his neck back and forth.
“Leo, what’s—”
“Make them stop!” he shrieked.
Aisi whirled. She saw no one. “Who do you see, Leo?”
“Just make them stop!” He clawed at his hair, as if something were crawling over the top of his head.
“I got you, little man.” Aisi closed her eyes and shut out his cries of fear and pain. Clenching her cold fists, she whispered, “Ostende té et relinquo, diabolus.” Her soul surged with an icy burn deep in her chest as every part of her demanded that her adversaries appear and release Leo. The excuse of not being able to fight what couldn’t be seen had to stop.
When she opened her eyes, Leo threw himself at her. She embraced him and glared defiantly at what she saw. Black shadows with gleaming red eyes surrounded them. “I’m done with you,” she hissed, her eyes narrowing as she spun on the spot, locking onto every set of eyes leering back at her. “You will never touch my brother again. Ever. Got it?”
 
If you'd like me to send you an email when Freaked is available, you can leave a comment on my blog, Facebook page, or message me on Twitter.