Skip to main content

One of Those Days

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel worthless? Lost and alone? Like nothing you ever say or do will matter to anyone?

I'm having that day. I struggle with anxiety and depression, and today is just one of those times where it kind of overtakes me. So if you're having that day, know you're not alone. When I feel like that, I take stock of the beautiful things in my life, like my daughters. Good books. Lifelong friendships. Chocolate. My obnoxious and hilarious family. A roof over my head. Tylenol for those raging headaches. The beach. 

I don't know what you're thankful for, but make your list. Don't let those feelings of worthlessness take over. It's not you--you are wonderful. It's our brain chemistry messing with us. 

Make your list and repeat it like a mantra. Give all the bad feels the finger. Find joy. Seek medical help if you need to, because this is nothing to be ashamed of. Your happiness is worth fighting for. 

Popular posts from this blog

Fake News at Its Finest

Life has a way of putting me in my place. I had grand intentions to post weekly, and three months later....

So I think it's great that people are talking about fake news these days, because fake news is at the heart of Off the Record. I have a sleezeball paparazzo named Derrick Fuchs (it looks like a swear word, but it's pronounced 'fooks,' a purposeful play on words to immediately show what a douche nozzle he is) in the novel. He writes his articles based on the latest gossip without really caring who he hurts or how much of it is made up. I haven't decided yet if the reader gets to meet him, but the excerpt today is the first article we see from him. Enjoy!


Off the Record, Question 1

#cleanreads and the death of common sense

Twitter is a great place for righteous indignation and manufactured controversy. It also happens to be the best place for me to engage and interact with readers, so I'm there frequently. Yesterday I noticed some fellow authors loudly defending a publisher which only accepts "clean" submissions, so I went to Twitter to follow the hashtag # cleanreads to see what the big deal was.

Quick summary: a gay man was offended that this publisher (who uses #cleanreads to promote their books) doesn't accept submissions including gay story lines or characters. 
Much butt hurt and cyber bullying followed, on both sides. The man at the center of the firestorm was reasonable and kind in explaining his position. He seems like a truly decent human who felt strongly about something. I hope my post about why I think he's wrong shows the same restraint and respect.
 He gives the hashtag and the discrimination he feels he has suffered too much power because he thinks this publisher is…